Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pacific Herring Spawn Attracts Herring Gulls


Today I was helping Vancouver photographer Andrew Klaver lead a Nature photography tour for the Brant Wildlife Festival. The little bit of focused birding I was able to do, convinced me that Herring Gull migration through the area must be peaking right now. I saw literally hundreds of Herring Gulls today, of all ages. In fact, I'm not sure that I have ever seen such large numbers of Herring Gulls in the area. At the Brant viewing stand at the north end of Qualicum Beach alone, I saw over 150 Herring Gulls. Just the numbers from this one site, were considerably higher than what we would normally expect in this region. Although I have seen several Vega type Herring Gulls in the past few weeks, I was not able to find any today.

No comments: